Rio Tinto Iron Ore Confined Space Awareness
This course is designed for people who will be working in or around confined spaces on a Rio Tinto Iron Ore Site. Whether the space is enclosed or partially enclosed, these people are responsible for carrying out work or inspections. The course is also appropriate for those performing sentry or stand-by person roles on a Rio Tinto Iron Ore Site.
Language, literacy and numeracy are required to enter a confined space in the workplace and complete workplace documentation.
The Confined Space Awareness course is designed for persons who are required to undertake work in confined spaces on a Rio Tinto Iron Ore site. The course targets the planning and risk assessment processes required for safe entry into designated confined spaces. All persons on a Rio Tinto Iron Ore site who are working in or around Confined Spaces must hold this qualification in order to gain the correct understanding of Rio’s permits, policies and procedures.
Specific skills are required to achieve the performance criteria in this course these are as follows:
- Site and equipment safety requirements
- Confined space entry and exit procedures
- Risks and regulations
- Air contaminants and toxic gases
- Breathing apparatus limitations
- Equipment types
- Technical capabilities and limitations
- Site isolation and site control responsibilities and authorities
- Materials safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Project quality requirements
- Interpreting JSA's/Safe work method statements
- The use of atmospheric monitoring devices
Unit of Competency
RIIWHS202D Enter and work in confined spaces
Assessment of this course is through written assessment and observation of students carrying out a range of practical activities involving entering and working in confined spaces.
Classroom theory via PowerPoint or the issued learner resource including use of audio-visual material and practical activities involving entering and working in confined spaces.
Please select your state so that courses on the site can be shown for your location.